When my husband and I were first dating, we were two busy, dirt poor graduate students who were still attempting to eat somewhat healthy. Between my hours in the research lab and his class schedule, the time we had left to cook and actually eat together was anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. As someone who loves to cook, and occasionally make over the top meals, this time frame was a challenge – especially when it came to having more creative meals.
The time crunch facilitated the creation of one of our all time meal staples; the Protein Power Bowl. It started out more simply with only three ingredients that we always had on hand: ground turkey, quinoa, and hummus. This way, the excuse of “no time to go shopping” never happened on these nights.
As we started to have this meal more frequently – since it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare – I decided the one thing it could definitely use more of was… veggies. Enter adding the spinach and onion to the recipe.
To me, the best part of this recipe is its versatility. If you are working with picky eaters, the veggies can be swapped with any other that your family prefers. If someone isn’t a hummus fan, guac is another fantastic substitution.
- 1 lb. ground turkey I like to use extra lean
- 1 c. quinoa
- 1 yellow onion Diced
- 3 c. fresh spinach
- 4 tbsp hummus My favorite is Sabra roasted red pepper hummus
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp "Slap Ya Mama" seasoning
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Saute onion in olive oil. After the onion becomes translucent add the ground turkey to the pan and brown until cooked through. Stir in "Slap Ya Mama" season while turkey is cooking.
- Once the ground turkey has been cooked, slowly add the spinach to the pan and saute until the spinach is wilted and dark green.
- Serve cooked quinoa and turkey mixture in a bowl topped with a tablespoon of hummus.